ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has rejected India’s request to interrogate seven Pakistanis, including Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, who have been arrested in connection with the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, an official said.
“There is no law under which we could allow the Indian investigators to grill the seven accused, who are already in judicial custody,” DawnNews quoted a senior interior ministry official as saying.
Earlier this month, India has sent a letter requesting the Pakistani authorities to allow an Indian probe team to question all the seven suspects.
The letter also invited an inquiry commission set up by a Pakistani court to visit India for questioning other accused in the case, including Ajmal Kasab, the Pakistani gunman arrested in the case. Kasab has been sentenced to death for his role in the attack.
A total of 166 people were killed in the November 26-29, 2008 Mumbai attack.
The chief of Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency’s joint investigating team, Mr Wajid Zia, sent a reply to the interior ministry’s national crisis management cell which has forwarded it to the foreign ministry for onward delivery to the Indian authorities, Dawn said, quoting sources.
Lakhvi and six other suspects — Hammad Amin Sadiq, Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu Al Qama, Abdul Wajid alias Zarar Shah, Mohammad Younis Anjum, Shahid Jameel Riaz and Jamil Ahmed — have been in judicial custody in Pakistan.