Breaking News

Lockdown has set back STP work at Ponda by six months

Ponda: The unexpected lockdown of 40 days owing to the Covid-19 pandemic has set back the Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) work of Ponda by almost six months considering the pre-monsoon work scheduled in the town.

The Sewerage and Infrastructural Development Corporation of Goa (SIDCGL) has postponed the STP’s remaining work for after the monsoon, officials said.

Earlier SIDCGL was supposed to complete the pipeline network of the STP by March 2020 and handover all roads of the town to the PWD for hot mixing before the onset of the monsoon, which now seems unlikely.

Though SIDCGL has started working on the network line from Wednesday, it won’t be able to complete the pending work as they are running far behind from the schedule. Secondly the collector’s order to the SIDCGL to restore the dug roads before May 14 has forced SIDCGL to leave the work incomplete. “We will have to undo what we had done and start again after monsoon” an official from SIDCGL said.

Presently SIDCGL has completed around 90 percent work of the pipeline network work in the town linked with 15 MLD Kavlem – Ponda STP and road stretch of which the work has been completed and has been already handed over to the Public Works Department for hot mixing. 90 percent roads in the town will be possibly hot mixed by PWD before the monsoon. While 10 percent road stretch, in which STP work is incomplete will be just restored filling the potholes dug for the STP.

The road stretch that are yet to be handed over to the PWD by SIDCGL includes the road stretch from main Tisk Ponda to Kapileshwari Junction road, Municipal Garden to PWD office road and 20 meter stretch near Bank of India and 8m stretch near Bhavani Sadan.

Besides Kavlem, Ponda, the work on two more STP’s ie Bandora 15 MLD and Curti 8 MLD is in process.  The network laying work of the Curti STP is almost 90 percent complete and the remaining 10 percent is pending as plant work has not yet started. Due to opposition from locals the work of the plant has been delayed. But now SIDCGL has got an irrevocable NOC from the land owners and work will commence soon, informed an SIDCGL officer.

While work on the Bandora STP’s network is 60 percent completed and due to opposition from people in that area too, the work has been halted. SIDCGL has already purchased the required land in Undir area and the work on the plant will start soon, an official said.

Check Also

In ‘pursuit’ of 125 volunteers in state for vaccine clinical trials

NT NETWORK Panaji The Dhargal-based Redkar Hospital and Research Centre is targeting 100-125 volunteers for …