Ayurveda is a system of medicine which originated in India 3000 years ago. The pandemic has turned everyone’s attention towards building up immunity. A strong immunity is essential to fight against any disease. As there is no medicine for corona right now one can enhance their immunity by adopting the self care measures. Immunity is the ability of an organism to resist a particular infection by action of specific antibodies. In ayurveda immunity is also called vyadhikshmatva. One therapeutic strategy in ayurvedic medicine is to enhance the body’s natural resistance to disease. It is achieved by the action of rasayan therapy. Rasayan drugs act on levels of rasa (directly increasing the quality of nutrition), improve the level of agni (digestive mechanism) and act on srotas (improve microcirculation). It ensures proper perfusion and nutrient to tissues. Regular intake of rasayan can boost one’s immunity.
One must follow the concept of dincharya (daily regimen) and rutucharya (seasonal regimen) for good health.
Here are a few recommended measures
- Wakeup early in morning
- Attain proper urges at proper timing.
- Gargle with medicated decotion like tripphala.
- Steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil or ajwain.
- Pratimarsh nasya-instillation of coconut oil or sesame oil can be done. It should be done early in morning and evening. Instill two drops in each nostril.
- Drink hot water throughout the day. Avoid cold drinks.
- Practice yoga asanas like anulom vilom kapalbhati to improve lung capacity. It works and improves capacity of respiratory system. Asanas like ardha chakrasana, surya namaskar and bhujangasana can also be practiced.
- Practicing meditation and chanting omkar for 30 minutes increases sattvic capacity of mind.
- Drink herbal tea prepared with herbs like long pepper powder, ginger powder, guduchi powder or munnaka.
- Spices like turmeric, garlic, cumin and coriander should be included while cooking.
- Eat hot and fresh food. Avoid curd, ice cream or creamy, cold foods.
- Drink an adequate amount of water.
- Maintain hand and respiratory hygiene.
- Have chavanprash (one teaspoon) in the morning.
- Drink a decoction of water boiled with herbs like tulsi, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger and munnaka. You can add jaggery also for taste. Continue boiling till decoction is reduced to one fourth of the actual amount. You can have the decoction once or twice a day.
- Golden milk – Boil 100ml of milk with half a teaspoon of turmeric. It should be consumed once or twice a day.
- In case of throat irritation have clove powder mixed with honey, two or three times a day. Best to consult a doctor.
- Steam inhalation with mint or carom seeds can be practiced once a day.
- Exercise regularly.
- While traveling by public transport wear a mask and maintain social distance.
By following the following regimen it will maintain the ojas (immunity),prana (vital force) and tej (agni).
Let us walk together in the fight against corona virus by adopting these ayurvedic regimens in our daily lifestyle.
Say namaste to friends instead of shaking hands. Let us share this knowledge about ayurvedic regimen with our friends and family.
(Writer is a student at Gomantak Ayurveda College and Research Centre, Goa)