NEW DELHI: The embattled Commonwealth Games OC chief, Mr Suresh Kalmadi will appear before the CBI on Wednesday for questioning in connection with its probe into alleged financial irregularities in the conduct of the sports event, a fortnight after raids at his office and residences.
Official sources said on Tuesday Mr Kalmadi has been asked to come to the CBI office for questioning and he has informed the investigating agency he would make his appearance on Wednesday.
The chief of the Games’ organising committee is likely to be quizzed on a number of issues regarding the Games including alleged bungling in Queen’s Baton Relay.
CBI officials had on Monday visited the Games OC office here and questioned some officials. Besides they had seized certain documents related to QBR and other contracts with various firms.
The sources said Mr Kalmadi will also be questioned about certain contracts given to foreign firms for carrying out overlays work for the games in October last.
The CBI had late last month contacted Mr Kalmadi over phone asking him to appear before it for questioning but the OC chief had said he will be available only after January 3.
Mr Kalmadi had earlier in the day said he has not yet heard from the CBI about possible date of his questioning.
“I am yet to hear from the CBI. As and when I am informed, I will be available. I am extending full cooperation to all investigating agencies,” Mr Kalmadi told PTI.
The sleuths have grilled Mr Kalmadi’s three key aides in connection with the scam. Sources said Mr Manoj Bhori, political advisor to OC head, Mr P K Srivastava and Mr A K Sinha, both assistants to Mr Kalmadi, were also called in for interrogation.
The CBI had earlier conducted raids at the residences of Mr Kalmadi, the OC secretary-general, Mr Lalit Bhanot, Mr R K Sacheti, who is joint director general of the OC, and Ms Sangeeta Welingkar, member of the Games Image and Look Group.
The agency has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one case is related to a Rs 107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score keeping firm, the CBI had registered two other FIRs in connection with the contract given to AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London.
The CBI has decided to approach the sports ministry to seek removal of Mr Kalmadi and Mr Bhanot from their posts citing failure of certain junior OC officials to cooperate with it which, it claimed, was hampering the probe.