Mapusa: GOACAN has submitted a letter to chief electrical engineer (CEE) requesting intervention to prevent loss of life and limb of consumers in tragic incidents of electrocution and to prepare advisory to prevent death of consumers due to electrocution while cleaning terraces of houses and buildings.
GOCAN has cited a recent incident wherein one 26-year-old resident of Khorlim, Mapusa had died of electrocution after coming in contact with 33 KV power lines passing over his house.
In this connection, GOACAN has written a letter to CEE bringing to his notice the electrocution incident and if police records are examined for the last 20 years then there would surely be a rise in such cases.
Coordinator of GOACAN Roland Martins in the letter stated that, “With passage of time there has been an increase in the number of multi-storied houses as well as increase in the release of new power connection which has resulted in the passing of these power lines in close proximity of the terrace as well as balconies of the houses and building.”
The NGO has made recommendation to prevent electrocution cases in future like issuing of general advisory on precautions to be taken while using ladders or any scaffolding in close proximity of power lines, department should undertake division-wise survey to those dwelling which are power lines in close proximity and issue them a special advisory which can be delivered to them through meter reader.
Further, the NGO has suggested working on plans to shift power lines in close proximity or work out to insulate these power lines, undertake study of such tragic incidents of electrocution and prepare report-cum-guideline so that it can be finalised by March 31, 2021 and examine the possibility for any compensation.