Thursday , 27 February 2020
Breaking News
Anti-mosquito fogging operation undertaken in Cutbona

Dengue rearing its ugly head again in Cutbona

 

VELIM: Villagers in South Goa’s Cutbona are panic-stricken as dengue is rearing its ugly head once again in the area with fresh cases coming to light taking the total number of cases reported to six since February, this year.

Four cases of dengue have been reported even as the villagers have begun to leave Cutbona fearing spread of the disease. Two patients are presently undergoing treatment at the Goa Medical College and Hospital at Bambolim.

Villagers were shocked after two persons, Catarina Cardozo and Nazarina D’Silva, tested positive for the disease barely a couple of days after two others, Viviana and Aliston Diniz, who fell prey to the vector-borne disease, but have subsequently recovered. A total of six cases have been reported in the area since February when two cases were reported.

Dengue is a mosquito-borne tropical disease caused by the dengue virus. Symptoms typically begin three to 14 days after the infection and may include a high fever, headache, vomiting, muscle and joint pains and a characteristic skin rash.

A high-level team of the Balli Health Centre along with Velim sarpanch Melvyn Sanches and panch members carried out inspection of the affected site. Fogging has been undertaken in the affected areas while a team of entomologists is expected to visit the affected site.

Speaking to reporters after the inspection, the Velim sarpanch said this is a serious matter and the repeated outbreak of dengue in the village is creating fear in the minds of the residents, who have started moving out of the area. He said that the health department is not screening the migrants working on the fishing vessels. Sanches said only about 500 workers have been screened out of the 7,000 workers.

He said that the department of fisheries should take serious note of the matter and make it mandatory for the workers to be screened before they join work. He said that the panchayat will now be writing to the department of fisheries to ensure that the migrants are compulsorily screened as they are most likely to be the carriers of the disease.

Panch member Veena Cardozo said some families have already left Cutbona after two cases were detected earlier this month. Stating that the village is vulnerable as there is no proper hygiene, she said that the panchayat members have to face the ire of villagers.

Check Also

50 Goans evacuated from cruise ship

NT NETWORK Margao Fifty Goans among the 119 Indians,  who had been stranded onboard the …