Breaking News
AICC General Secretary and Goa desk in-charge Digvijay Singh addressing the media along with Dr A Chella Kumar, Luizinho Faleiro, Pratapsing Rane and Francisco Sardinha in Panaji on Saturday

Cong ready to contest all 40 seats in 2017 assembly polls

NT NETWORK

PANAJI
All India Congress Committee (AICC) General Secretary and Goa desk in-charge Digvijay Singh Saturday said that there has been no formal proposal for a ‘mahagathbandhan.’ In the absence of a proposal, he asserted that the party is preparing to contest all the 40 constituencies during the upcoming state assembly elections.
Speaking to media in Panaji after chairing the Pradesh Coordination Committee meeting, Singh said that no political party has approached the Congress party with a proposal for an alliance and everything has been only spoken through the media.
He said, “We have not received any proposal from any political party for a mahagathbandhan, so the question of an alliance does not arise.”
Stating that after Goa Forward Party (GFP) being formed, no communication has been made by the GFP president to the PCC president for an alliance, Singh said, “As it stands today, we are preparing to fight all the 40 assembly seats. If there is a proposal then the Pradesh Executive Committee shall discuss, deliberate and decide and propose to the AICC if any alliance is to be considered or made.”
Reacting to the initiatives for a third front by GFP and the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), the former ally of Congress in the state and at the national level, Singh said that 85 per cent of NCP has merged into the Congress and the remaining 15 per cent is also welcome to join the party. He further said, “If Vijay Sardesai wants to join us, then he should merge his party and then we’ll talk about the chief ministerial candidate.”
Meanwhile, Singh said that the Congress party along with all its frontal organisations will take up door-to-door campaign during the next three months and the party workers would hand over the charge sheet prepared against the BJP-led government.
“We are also going to give the failures of the AAP government in Delhi. Arvind Kejriwal has been tom-tomming about the achievements. The fact is that all his election promises have not been fulfilled and there are corruption charges against the MLAs. And he is doing exactly what he used to complain about politicians before coming to politics,” he added.
Singh said that the party would take disciplinary action against the erring party leaders, who have been repetitively speaking contrary to the party stand.
Referring to the tweets of Valpoi MLA Vishwajit Rane threatening to quit the Congress if the party failed to forge a ‘mahagathbandhan,’ Singh said, “He has spoken to me and he said that he has been misquoted.”
Responding to a question on whether the party had failed to enforce discipline, Singh said that he was in communication with Rane and that he has been corrected. He further said, “Discipline in the party will be enforced. I have been a little lenient on this.”

Check Also

New teams for health centres

Panaji: The government will recruit new teams on priority basis, which would be designated at …