Breaking News

BRIEFS

NZ cricketer Stephen Murdoch retires

LONDON: Canterbury Cricket and Cricket Wellington veteran Stephen Murdoch has announced his retirement from domestic cricket after a 12-year professional career. The Wellington-born played 87 first-class, 71 List A and 58 T20 matches for both provinces, amassing more than 9,000 runs with 18 centuries. The 36-year-old holds a Wellington record for the most runs in a first-class season with 998 which he achieved in 2014/15 and finished his career sixth on the all-time run scorers list for Wellington.

EuroLeague basketball abandoned

PARIS: The 2019-20 basketball EuroLeague season has become the latest casualty of the COVID-19 pandemic as the organisers have announced that the campaign would be abandoned. The decision was made after a remote meeting of the executive board earlier in the day, which was fourth such assembly since the season was halted on March 12. The statement explained that the main concern was still the health of the people, and cited that “local authorities imposing differing restrictions on the movements of their citizens” meant that teams could not “hold their training camp and prepare for official games under the same conditions”.

FIFA provisionally bans Haitian FF chief

ZURICH: World football governing body FIFA has provisionally suspended the president of Haitian Football Federation Yves Jean-Bart from all football-related activities. According to FIFA, the sanction has been imposed in connection with ongoing investigations concerning Jean-Bart. “Mr Jean-Bart was notified of the decision today. The provisional sanction comes into force immediately,” read a FIFA statement.

Bournemouth goalkeeper tests positive for COVID

LONDON: AFC Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale said he is in a state of shock after testing positive for coronavirus recently. This comes after the Premier League side had confirmed that an unnamed player is one of two new coronavirus positive cases discovered by the latest round of tests. 22-year-old Ramsdale is only the second Premier League player to confirm testing positive for the virus after Watford’s Adrian Mariappa. The Premier League had earlier said that 996 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19 on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. The clubs have been allowed to start small-group training after the top-flight football league in England was suspended on March 13 due to the virus outbreak.

Considered retiring due to injury issues: Costa

TURIN: Brazil and Juventus forward Douglas Costa said that he had considered retiring due to his frequent injury troubles and has hired a mental coach to help him deal with the side-effects of his fitness issues. “There are times when I think: Can I still play?” he told The Players’ Tribune. Costa, who turns 30 in September, was among the foremost wingers in the world during his time at Bayern Munich but injuries have stunted his development at Juventus since he completed his permanent move to the Italian champions in 2018.

Check Also

Neville slams UEFA after CAS overturns City’s European ban

IANS Manchester Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville has slammed European football governing body UEFA …

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
error: Content is protected !!