Breaking News
Goa Velha SC and Penha de Franca SC players go for the ball 

6 teams share points in GFA Divn 1 ties


MAPUSA/MARGAO: Goa Velha SC came from a goal down to hold Penha de Franca SC to a 1-1 draw in the second round match of GFA’s First Division League, at Duler stadium on Thursday.

Manjunath Rathod scored in the 40th minute of the first half to take Penha de Franca into the lead, which however was cancelled by Goa Velha’s Akeraj Martin who struck in the 71st minute.

Penha de Franca held the upper hand in the first session and almost broke the deadlock in the 23rd minute when Raju Padoshi, getting hold to a ball inside the 18-yard box, dribbled past the keeper but saw his shot at the goal hit the post. Finally in the 40th minute substitute Samir Agarwadekar sent a perfect cross to well positioned Manjunath Rathod who leapt high over the Goa Velha defenders to head the ball into the goal, 1-0.

On crossing over, Goa Velha went all out in search of the equaliser. In the 71st minute Jesroy Fernandes moved from the left flank and sent a low pass to U-20 Akeraj Martin, who outsmarted defender Sidarth Shirodkar and keeper Adney Fernandes to score the equaliser, 1-1. In the very next minute Akeraj Martin almost netted his brace as he drove a power-packed left footer which was swayed over the post by keeper Adney.

At the other end, Shubham Malvankar moved dangerously inside the penalty box from the left flank and drilled a stiff grounder which was saved by Goa Velha keeper Xavier Estrocio.

In the last ten minutes of the match Penha de Franca were pinned inside their own territory.

Nestor Dias after beating the entire defense drew the rival keeper from the goal and set up Jesroy but the latter was late to tap the ball into the unguarded goal. Another chance went abegging for Goa Velha as keeper Adney thwarted Dario Rodrigues in a one-to-one situation.

In the dying minutes of the match, Filton D’Cunha sent a through pass to Akeraj Martins whose placement went just past the goal post with the defence and keeper beaten.

At Raia grounds, UC Telaulim and Panchwadi United played out a 2-2 draw. While Telaulim scored through Nicel Pinto in the 19th and 74th minute, Panchwadi United found the mark through Avino D’Costa (63th minute) and Agnelo Colaco (85th minute).

The first half largely belonged to Telaulim who broke for the lemon break with a 1-0 lead.

Crossing over, Panchwadi United improved their game by few notches and  levelled the score through Avino D’Costa (63rd minute) but then Telaulim’s dangerman Nicel put his team ahead once again in the 74th minute with an elegant effort as he sent the ball to the right corner of the nets.

Panchwadi United retaliated and levelled the score in the 85th minute through Agnelo Colaco.

At Corps of Signals grounds, Navelim milliatry camp, Goa Police and Corps of Signals shared spoils after playing out a 1-1 draw.

Goa Police scored through Abdul K Khan to take the lead in the 26th minute of play while N Singh levelled the score for Corps of Signals in the 55th minute.

Check Also

Sawant refuses to react to Governor’s objection

NT NETWORK Panaji Chief Minister Pramod Sawant refused to react to the objection raised by …