Sporting send four past Velsao


Duler: Sporting Clube de Goa stretched their unbeaten run to four games following their 4-0 win over Velsao Sports and Cultural Club in their Goa Football Association’s Selvel Goa Professional League at Duler Stadium, Mapusa, on Sunday.

The Flaming Oranje scored two goals in either halves through Philip Odogwu (11’), Rohit Totad (31’), Marcus Mascarenhas (58’) and Sachidanad (66’).

Sporting Clube now move to 12 points from 4 games while Velsao SCC remain on 1 point from six matches.

Velsao were a totally transformed side having made five changes in their line-up. They had an early shot on goal through Savelon Cardozo but it was straight to the keeper.

But it was Sporting Clube de Goa who took the lead from a set-piece in the 11th minute. Myron Fernandes sent in good delivery in the box from the second corner kick, which Philip Odogwu headed in to score his second of the season.

Velsao SCC came very close to finding their equaliser when Brian Mascarenhas played a short corner to U-20 Rohan Rodrigues, whose shot from outside the box missed the target by whiskers.

It was end to end affair, but Sporting had clear cut chances to double their lead through Rohit Totad and Philip, but both saw their efforts go wide from a good position.

Rohit finally scored in the 31st minute when he fed in the area by Marcus from midfield. The U-20 player controlled the ball and got past his marker and curled a low shot at the far post.

Sporting squandered a chance to get their third in the 45th minute when Rohit dribbled past the Velsao defenders and the keeper and played to Sachidanand Satelkar, who tried a lob shot with the keeper rushing on him. But the ball sailed over the ball.

In the second half, Savelon had a shot saved by Ozen from a distance. At the other end, Sporting had their effort come of the post. Rohit ran down the flank and got on to the byline and square the ball to Philip, who flicked the ball but came off the post and went out for a goal kick.

Velsao’s Umesh Pujar came with a goal line save to deny Sachidanad when he flicked the ball past the onrushing keeper which was ultimately cleared off the line.

Sachidanand finally scripted his name on the score sheet with the fourth in the 66th minute. Marcus threaded a through pass to the Sachidanand on the left, who clinically put the ball at the back of the net.