The Turkish fiancee of slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi has sued Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, accusing him of ordering the murder, the media reported.
The civil lawsuit was filed on Tuesday in Washington D.C. by Hatice Cengiz and Democracy for the Arab World Now (Dawn), a rights group Khashoggi, who had been living in self-imposed exile in the US, founded before his death, the BBC reported.
In the lawsuit, Cengiz claimed personal injury and financial losses over Khashoggi’s death, while the rights group alleged that its operations were hampered.
“The objective of the murder was clear, to halt Khashoggi’s advocacy in the US for democratic reform in the Arab world,” the BBC quoted the lawsuit as saying.
It added that Khashoggi, also a prominent critic of the Saudi government, was murdered “pursuant to a directive of defendant Mohammed bin Salman”.
After filing the lawsuit, the lawyers for Cengiz and the rights body said in a video conference that its focus was to have a US court hold the Crown Prince “liable for the killing and to obtain documents that reveal the truth”.
In a statement, Cengiz said: “Jamal believed anything was possible in America and I place my trust in the American civil justice system to obtain a measure of justice and accountability.”