Call for measures to control COVID spread in Cuncolim industrial estate

0
26

Margao: Residents of Cuncolim have yet again demanded for the implementation of measures for controlling the spread of  COVID in the Cuncolim industrial estate,  which already has 71 COVID cases.

Meanwhile, even though the collection of swab samples is being continued at the Balli PHC, test reports of swab samples taken several days back are yet to be received.

Since the Cuncolim industrial estate has reported several cases, the municipal council as well as the locals have demanded declaring the area as a containment zone to prevent the virus from spreading in the municipal area where most of the industry workers reside.

Earlier this week, the Cuncolim Municipal Council (CMC) submitted a memorandum to the South Goa Collector with the demand, as well as informed the Chief Minister during his visit to the South Goa District Hospital.

On Thursday, the CMC chairperson Shashank Dessai also sent a letter to the Collector requesting for a strict watch by police personnel in the area as well as mass testing of the workers at the industrial estate.

Dessai, referring to his letter to the Collector said that he has

requested to consider deploying  sufficient number of  police personnel to maintain strict watch in respect of the functioning of factories at the Cuncolim industrial estate and for the closure of such factories where positive cases have been detected, conduct mass testing of workers in all factories to ensure early detection and further consider declaring Cuncolim or areas surrounding Cuncolim industrial estate as containment zone.

Meanwhile, the Balli PHC under whose jurisdiction the municipality falls, testing continued but reports of those, who had given their swab samples earlier this week, are still pending.

CMC chairperson Sucorrina Coutinho said that even though the CMC had submitted a memorandum, there was no response from the office of the Collector on declaring the area as a containment zone.