MUMBAI: He was twice lucky and escaped unhurt when terror visited Zaveri Bazaar in 1993 and 2003, but this time around Mr Sunder Singh Bisht was not that fortunate.
Sunder, a peon, was critically injured when a bomb went off in the famous jewellery market in South Mumbai Wednesday evening.
He suffered severe burn injuries and is battling for life at the Government-run J J Hospital here.
“He was injured in the Zaveri Bazaar blast. His leg has been broken and the body suffered severe burns. Doctors say there is only 50 per cent chance of his survival,” the victim’s brother, Mr Kedar Singh Bisht said.
Kedar said his brother was an eyewitness to the previous two explosions in Zaveri Bazaar, but this time around he was among the injured.
Sunder is the sole bread-winner for his family and has a two-year-old son. He works as an office boy at an establishment in Zaveri Bazaar and had gone to eat the popular local snack ‘vada pav’ with his friends when the blast occurred.
“He went to eat vada pav with his office friends. They were four of them. One person died on the spot and the three were brought here (J J) from St George Hospital,” Kedar said.
There was shock and disappointment, but no tears in the eyes of those whose loved ones are undergoing treatment at the Harkisandas Hospital here following the triple blasts.
From the rush of patients immediately after the blasts Wednesday evening, the hospital wore a business-as-usual look Thursday. People were not running helter-skelter, medical services were better organised and the corridors were clear.
The hospital currently has seven patients in the OPD, and so far 12 surgeries have been successfully performed. Harkisandas Hospital was the closest to the blast that went off in the Opera House area of south Mumbai. It is one of the dozen hospitals where those injured in the blasts were taken for treatment.
The relatives of the blast victims were distraught and at a loss of words, but are holding themselves strong. Kalubhai, who works at a shop in the Opera House area, bore severe injuries on his head.
“His head was badly hurt in the blast. Thank God he has survived…He has been operated upon and he is fine now,” one of Kalubhai’s relatives said.
The son-in-law of another patient, Mr Sahedev Bhawre, said: “My father-in-law has lost his right leg as it had to be amputated. He is fine now…but till when will this mayhem continue?”
“After 26/11, we really thought the government and security agencies would pull up their socks. But every time, the general public ends up bearing the brunt of their laxity. So much for the peace talks (with Pakistan)…Now we are so used to being terrorised and victimised that we don’t even feel like crying. Being strong is the only thing we can do for our well-being,” said 26-year-old Mr Hiten Bedia, whose father, a shop owner from Zaveri Bazaar, was injured in the blasts.
SOIRU VELIP | NT Panaji: Although mining dependants had been cross with the BJP over the resumption of mining operations…
PANAJI: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant will attend the swearing-in ceremony of the re-elected Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi…
Panaji: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Friday maintained that the voters in the North Goa mining belt had all support…
Panaji: A perspicuous glance at the voting patterns in the recently held Lok Sabha elections and bypolls to four assembly…
Calangute: Shortage of drinking water is causing a great deal of hardships to Calangute residents these days and one of…
Panaji: The directorate of tribal welfare in association with United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) will host ‘Prerana din’ in memory…