NRB Vasco pocket first Pro League point

MAPUSA: An injury-time free-kick goal by Agnelo Colaco enabled NRB Vasco Sports Club to hold Sporting Clube de Goa to a 2-2 draw in the Kingfisher Goa Professional League match played at Poriat grounds, on Monday.

Finally, NRB Vasco opened their account in the Professional League, with Sporting getting their second point, after both played their third league match.

In a dull first session, both the sides had only one good attempt at each other’s goals.

A low cross from the right flank by Stephene Barreto, in the 3rd minute, beat the entire Vasco defence and the ball travelled to unmarked Sporting skipper Joseph Pereira, who took all the time in the world and finished with a curling placement that hit the side post and the back of the Vasco keeper Rajani Kumar, before the ball entered the goal.

In the 11th minute of play, Vasco almost equalised, but a fine cross by Rohan Kamble saw Agnelo Colaco’s header missing the target by a whisker.

Calangute-based medio Aiken Dias playing his debut match for Vasco combined well along with skipper Jose Colaco and Brasilian Bruno Figueiredo, to supply the required ammunition for Agnelo Colaco and Nigerian Felix Chidi Odili upfront.

Vasco was a transformed unit on crossing over and had two attempts at the Sporting goal, but Bruno’s direct free-kick was fisted over the post by Sporting keeper Gerald D’Mello, and a couple of minutes later Agnelo Colaco’s fierce shot hit the Sporting defender Charles Cardozo for a corner.

In a counter attack, Charles Cardozo raced down the right flank and sent a fine through pass to substitute Vitorino Fernandes, who beat the onrushing Vasco keeper Rajani and as he was about to tap the ball into the goal, was brought down by Eleveno Fernandes, prompting referee Chandrashekar to point to the dreaded spot. Nigerian Kalu Ogba made no mistake to score the second goal for his team.

A never-say-die spirit, saw Agnelo Colaco pull one up in the 75th minute, as his direct free-kick curled to the far corner of the goal, leaving keeper Gerald rooted to the ground, 2-1.

When it looked like Sporting were heading for their first win of the league, Vasco were awarded a direct free-kick. Once again Agnelo Colaco stepped forward and took a stinging 30-yard strike which hit his team-mate Agnelo Bareto’s leg to see the ball land into the goal. This happened when only a minute was left for the final hooter.