Monday , 24 September 2018
TRENDING NOW

Scrubs and peels for great skin

Roanna Silveira

It is important to know about the products we use on our skin. Here is a list of a few of them.

Types of Exfoliators

Exfoliators are divided into physical and chemical exfoliators.

Physical exfoliators are cleansers with physical particles that can be felt while scrubbing your face. These scrubs are formulae which are filled with granules that remove dead skin cells from the surface of the face. These granules could be salt, sugar, plastic beads, apricot shell pieces, etc. Even the Clarisonic facial cleansing brush is a physical exfoliator.

Physical exfoliators are great for those with dry flaky skin. But be careful not to use these more than twice a week and use them gently, or else the granules can pierce the skin and cause more harm than good.

Those with acne-prone or sensitive skin should avoid physical exfoliators as they can pick up acne and redistribute it on the face and also leave the skin red and sensitive.

Chemical Exfoliators

Chemical exfoliators are mild acids that remove dead cells, dirt and debris in the pores.

They are divided into two categories: AHAs and BHAs.

AHAs or Alpha Hydroxy Acids are mostly derived from natural ingredients like glycolic acid from sugar cane, lactic acid from milk, malic acid from apples, citric acid from citrus and tartaric acid from grapes. These improve moisture levels, diminish the look of fine lines, smooth rough skin texture, and improve dull and uneven skin tone.

Beta Hydroxy Acids or BHAs refers to salicylic acid and others. BHAs work more deeply within the skin, inside the pore lining. They are oil soluble which means they are ideal for oily skin.

Scrubs

The Body Shop Tea Tree Squeaky-Clean Scrub: This is best for oily skin. Tea tree is antibacterial in nature and effectively fights acne. Tea tree also reduces the oil from the skin and nourishes it flawlessly. This scrub gently eliminates the dead skin layer and clears pores.

St Ives Timeless Skin Apricot Scrub: This is pocket-friendly while keeping blemishes and blackheads in control. While exfoliating it tones the skin and contains powerful antioxidants which cleanse it as well. The product suits all skin types and can be used by those who have sensitive skin.

Biotique Bio Papaya Smoothing and Revitalizing Scrub: The main ingredient in this product is papaya which is known for its revitalising and healing benefits. This scrub is great for removing dead skin cells and restoring sheen, while making your skin soft and supple.

The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA: Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. It offers mild exfoliation.

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution: This combined 32 per cent AHA/BHA solution offers deeper exfoliation to help fight visible blemishes and improves skin radiance. The formula improves the appearance of skin texture and reduces the look of fine lines.

DIY Peel

Peel for Wrinkles: The Egg White Peel

Beat one egg white and mix it with cucumber pulp. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and mix well to create a paste. Apply the finished product to your face and allow it to sit for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with water. The combination of egg whites and cucumbers will help de-wrinkle and moisturise skin.

Peel for Dry Skin: The AHA Chemical Peel

This is for dry, itchy and irritated skin. Mix the cane sugar and yogurt until it turns into a slightly granulated paste. Apply the mask to your face, avoiding the eye area. Let the peel rest on your face for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash off.

Peel for Oily Skin: The BHA Chemical Peel

Combine baking soda with the water in a bowl and set aside. Place aspirin in a dish and sprinkle the lemon juice over the aspirin. Use the backside of a spoon to crush the aspirin into the lemon juice, creating a thick paste. Smooth over the face, avoiding the eyes. Let sit until dry, and then wipe off with a cotton ball soaked with the baking soda mixture.

DIY Physical Exfoliant

Simple Sugar Face Scrub: Combine 1 tsp organic cane sugar, one or two drops of water, one or two drops orange, lemon, or lavender essence. Gently scrub into clean face, avoiding the eyes. Rinse off.

Sugar Face Scrub: Combine 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 2 tablespoons sugar. Rub into clean facial skin with circular motions for 60 seconds. Rinse off.

Chocolate Sugar Face Scrub: Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/8 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Rub gently into the skin for 60 seconds and rinse clean.

(Writer can be contacted at https://makeupcallgoa.wordpress.com/)

 

Please like & share: