VASCO: Four kiosks in a row were totally destroyed while three other kiosks were partially damaged, following a massive fire that broke out near the old Cine Vasco Theatre in the heart of the town during the wee hours on Tuesday.
As per information, the total loss due to the fire is estimated to be around Rs 15 lakh.
The fire personnel managed to save property worth Rs 50 lakh. Luckily, no one was injured in the incident.
The fire broke out at around 5.34 am, possibly due to a short circuit from a juice centre as the refrigerator there was on.
In all four fire tenders, one each from Verna fire station and Mormugao Port Trust, and two from Vasco fire station were rushed to the site, upon receiving the call.
The fire personnel struggled for nearly two and half hours to douse the fire.
As the kiosks were located on the rear side of main road, the fire personnel found it difficult to control the fire.
The fire personnel from Vasco, Verna and MPT fire stations managed to stop the fire from spreading to other kiosks.
As per the reports from Vasco fire station, the four kiosks, which were totally gutted, belonged to Shrikant Borkar, dealing in plastics items, shoes, bags and slippers; pan masala shop belonged to Amaldar Singh, juice centre was being run by Ambika Naik and hair cutting saloon belonged to Shobha Chawhan.
The other three kiosks which were partially damaged are involved in other trades.
The fire fighters attached to Vasco fire station, under the supervision of sub officer V S Bhatkar played a key role in dousing the fire. Further investigation is in progress.