Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Friday expressed anguish over the Muzaffarpur shelter home sex scandal and stressed on the need to develop institutional mechanisms to prevent such incidents from recurring.
Speaking at the launch of ‘Mukhyamantri Kanya Utthan Yojana,’ a scheme for welfare of girls, in Patna, Kumar said the alleged sex abuse of girls at the shelter home “has left us with a sense of shame and guilt.”
“We have always said that the guilty would not be spared and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi has said on the floor of the assembly that we would ourselves like the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe to be monitored by the High Court,” he said in his first reaction since the scandal broke last month.
The Chief Minister of Bihar said he has asked the state chief secretary to develop institutional mechanisms in consultation with the departments concerned to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.
Kumar said that no one will be spared in the rape of 34 minor girls at a shelter home in Muzaffarpur district. “I can assure you that no one will be spared.”
The Muzaffarpur horror came to light when the Bihar social welfare department filed a First Information Report (FIR) based on a social audit of the shelter home conducted by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.